PAIA - The Promotion of Access to Information Act and POPI - The Protection of Personal Information Act
Posted by , Last modified by Johan Du Toit on 16 January 2018 10:49 AM
THE REGULATION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION - PAIA and POPI
The Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) was passed to give effect to the constitutional right of access to information that is held by a private or public body and that is required for the exercise or protection of any rights.
The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) was enacted to give effect to the constitutional right to privacy by promoting the protection of personal information when processed by public or private bodies.
ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION / ACCESSING THE BUYER OR SELLER’S INFORMATION
Both Acts allow bidorbuy consumers to access certain information.
PAIA makes provision for consumers to access to their own information in the possession or under the control of bidorbuy. Consumers may also request access to the information of the buyer or seller in the event that:
- The buyer or seller is no longer contactable pursuant to a sale or purchase;
- Where the buyer or seller is not fulfilling their obligations in terms of a sale;
- Where the buyer or seller is acting illegally or fraudulently.
bidorbuy PAIA Manual is available here
In terms of the POPI Act, bidorbuy consumers may specifically request:
- Confirmation of whether or not bidorbuy holds any personal information regarding the consumer;
- A record or a description of the personal information about the consumer including information about all third parties who have had access to that information.
Bidorbuy consumers can contact us to request access to information:
Contact Person at bidorbuy:
C/O The Information Officer
Postal Address - PO Box 6009, Rivonia, 2128
Physical Address - Ground Floor, Building 2, Silverpoint Office Park, 22 Ealing Crescent, Bryanston, 2191
Telephone - +27 01 005 6200
Email - email@example.com
The Request Form is attached to the PAIA manual provided on the link above. Please note that:
- All bidorbuy customers are allowed access to their own information without having to use the request for access to information procedure as set out in the Promotion of Access to Information Act, including, but not limited to:
- A request made for access to any information other than that specified above, any information of another buyer or seller or any information in terms of the POPI Act, must be made in accordance with the access to information procedure as set out in the Promotion of Access to Information Act.
Please note - The Request Form is attached to the manual provided on the link above.
PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
All consumers are permitted to make a complaint to the Information Regulator in the event of any interference with the protection of your personal information.
The contact details of the Information Regulator shall be placed on this Site upon its establishment.